Congratulations on being accepted to participate at the Carnegie Mellon University Heinz College of Information Systems and Public Policy (Washington, D.C. Campus) Site Competition on February 24, 2018.
Please continue to check this page for updates.
Your Site Leader:
Jackie Speedy, Associate Dean of the School of Public Policy and Management at Heinz College of Information Systems and Public Policy, firstname.lastname@example.org
Marie Coleman, Executive Director at Heinz College of Information Systems and Public Policy, email@example.com
- Ambassador Jack Chow, Distinguished Service Professor, Heinz College of Information Systems and Public Policy
- Gregory Koblentz, Director of the Biodefense Graduate Program in the Schar School of Policy and Government at George Mason University
- Peter Linquiti, Director of the Environmental Resource Policy Program at the George Washington University Trachtenberg School of Public Policy & Public Administration
- Gavin Macgregor-Skinner, Senior Global Health Security Advisor, International Health, Abt Associates
- Jamechia Hoyle, Coordinator, Next Generation Global Health Security Network and Adjunct Professor, George Mason University
Please find below pertinent information about the student networking session on February 23 and travel and lodging. Students please remember to bring your own laptop computers to the competition. Tablets are NOT compatible with the simulation.
Carnegie Mellon University’s Heinz College of Information Systems and Public Policy is pleased to host the 2018 NASPAA simulation at our Washington DC campus. Centrally located near Union Station and Capitol Hill, our presence in the nation’s capital enables us to bring our world class research and education at the intersection of people, policy and technology to a broad array of national and international policy and decision makers. We are pleased to be hosting you in DC for the weekend, and look forward to sharing our networks and expertise with you.
February 23 Student Networking Event:
Please plan to join us before the competition on Friday evening, beginning at 6:00 PM, for a networking mixer that will be held at a local pub near our DC campus (TBD). Heinz College will provide appetizers and give you a chance to meet your fellow student competitors in an informal atmosphere. Students will have the opportunity to explore DC nightlife following the event.
TENTATIVE: February 24 Competition Day Details (NASPAA-Batten will provide students/site leaders with final schedule in late Jan):
The competition will open at 8:00 a.m. for sign in. By 9:00 you will have your instructions and the competition will begin. A light breakfast with coffee will be served before the competition begins. Lunch will be provided during the competition. In the afternoon, when the judges are selecting our regional site’s winning team, a brief reception will be provided for you to unwind with your fellow competitors, and after the winners are announced with the opportunity to meet informally with the judges.
Address, Transportation & Directions:
Heinz College Washington, D.C.
The Hall of States
444 N. Capitol Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20001
The Hall of the States is located one block from Union Station, which is on Metro’s Red Line and central to buses (Metrobus, Greyhound, Megabus, etc) and rail lines (Amtrak, Marc.) Metro information can be found: https://www.wmata.com/Street parking is limited around our building.There is a Colonial Parking, located on the E Street side of the Hall of the States, across from the Hotel George. Cost is $22 for 3 hours +. Uber and Lyft are also convenient means of transportation in DC.
Local Airports include: Ronald Reagan National Airport (closest to our office); Dulles International Airport, VA (45 mins) and Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (1 hour)
The following hotels are in proximity to the site location. Please note students are responsible for their own hotel accommodations. We strongly recommend for students to consider AirBnB. You may find very affordable lodging options here.
- The Liaison Capitol Hill – 415 New Jersey Avenue, NW, Washington DC
- Kimpton George Hotel (Hotel George) – 15 E Street, NW, Washington DC
- Phoenix Park Hotel – 520 N. Capitol Street, NW, Washington DC
- Washington Court Hotel – 525 New Jersey Avenue, NW, Washington DC
- Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol – 400 New Jersey Avenue, NW, Washington DC